Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Solving The Runaway Dog Problem

If your dog gets loose and runs away from you instead of coming when called, it can be the most frustrating thing in the world. Not only is it frustrating and time consuming for you, it's extremely dangerous for the dog.

Some dogs just love to run. Often the worst runaway dog problems involve dogs that are always chained or fenced in. Once they get out of their confines they want to explore the world they're kept out of. Other motivations for running may be natural playfulness.

When you are trying to catch your runaway dog, it may be interpreting your actions as a game of tag. He or she simply thinks you are playing a game that is great fun for your dog. In any event, this behavior could result in being hit by a passing vehicle and needs to be stopped.

The use of an electronic training collar is one of the very best methods to solve the runaway dog problem, if used properly. I realize that many dog owners feel that these collars are cruel, but isn't letting your dog be killed by a vehicle much more cruel? The reality is that electronic training collars are quite humane.

All of these collars have intensity controls that you set. They can be set low enough that the dog feels only a small sensation, similar to a tens unit. You need only set the intensity to what works for your dog.

With the use of the collar you can solve your runaway dog problem in as little as one day. This results in a much happier and harmonious life for both you and your dog. You must however use the collar properly to get the desired results.

My dog Patty was a rescued dog. She spent the first three years of her life on a very short chain with very little love or companionship. As a result she would run like the wind if she got loose. I stopped this behavior in a single day with the use of a training collar.

What I did was take her to a park with a very large open area. I knew when I let her out of the truck she would run, so I wanted it to be safe. With the collar on I let her out of the truck. Just like normal she was off and running.

The intensity control is on the hand-held remote and very easy to change. With it on the lowest setting, I called her name. When she ignored my call, I first hit the alarm button. This is a button on the remote that causes the collar to emit a beeping sound. Patty stopped briefly because she wasn't sure where the sound came from, then was off again.

I then called her again and when she ignored the call, I hit the correction button. With it on the lowest setting it had no effect at all. I then increased the intensity one level at a time. With each increase I called to her first and when ignored I hit the correction button. Eventually I got to level 4 and she let out a little yelp. I knew it didn't actually hurt her, it just startled her when she felt it.

However that did nothing to stop her running away from me, so I increased the intensity to level 5. This time when she ignored my call and the correction was given, it resulted in her running farther away. This is normal and I expected it. When a dog feels something painful, or in this case unpleasant, their instinct is to get away.

The real key to getting the training to work is to always be sure you use the alarm button, before the correction is given. This quickly teaches the dog that if he ignores your call, the shock will come next.

I continued working with her for about half an hour. Calling, sounding the alarm, giving the correction when she ignored my calls. Finally she began to come to me when I pressed the alarm button. When she did I gave her lots of love and praise.

Within the next half hour she began coming to me every time I called, without alarm or correction. It was time to test her at home in her own yard. She behaved perfectly, with one exception. When she saw the neighbors dog her curiosity got the best of her. It was now time to correct that problem.

I did this by using the same process with the command "STOP!" In just a couple of corrections she would stop in her tracks at that command.

Today I no longer need the training collar for her. She never runs away and when given the command to stop, she stops immediately. I no longer have to worry about her running out in front of a car, which provides me with tremendous piece of mind.




Dogs are my passion. I couldn't imagine life without my best friends, that's why I became a DogTek Distributor. If you would like to learn how DogTek products can improve the life of your dog I invite you to visit the safedogcontrol website.
My Safe Dog Blog is also a great place for dog owners to pick up tips and information. I hope you'll stop by and say hello.

See Also : find more best about Bes digital camera find more best about Coin Sorter ,coin bank, coin counter, coin holder

No comments:

Post a Comment